BackYardWaterfowl
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BackYardWaterfowl

BackYardWaterfowl!!!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Quality 2009 Colored Sebastopol Geese for Sale!
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am by Cottage Rose

» Small Sebbie Flock F/S - New York
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 am by judithkorff

» Don't give up!
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyTue May 19, 2009 2:59 pm by muscovyfan

» Help Needed! Ocala Park to kill 200 muscovies! Send an e-mail...
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:08 am by jenidukes

» Male Muscovy Problem Child
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:03 am by jenidukes

» Dufuss!
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:40 pm by Muscovychef

» New Member today
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 pm by Mahsmaj

» Muscouvy Chicks
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm by dougthorn

» trio white chinese geese
Male Muscovy Problem Child EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 pm by tbrown

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

You are not connected. Please login or register

Male Muscovy Problem Child

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Male Muscovy Problem Child Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:43 am

jenidukes

jenidukes
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I have a pet male muscovy that we rescued when he was a badly injured few week old duckling. He is a wonderful pet, and well loved—he is now about 8 months old. He spends some of his time inside the house and some outside. As we just happened upon this little guy, and were never intending to raise a flock, he has been the only duck since we got him (though we also have a dog, cats, and rabbits.) Until just recently, his behavior has been pretty excellent, with a few minor incidents with our dog. Over the past month or so, however, he has been becoming increasingly aggressive. He has bitten me hard a few times recently, which he very rarely did before, and he has attacked our dog and started a fight with him twice in the past two days. They have always lived together, but now I have had to separate them when we are not home, I am so afraid that he will be killed by the dog if he keeps this up when I’m not there to stop him.

I’ve started to think that he needs a companion, and that the aggression may be connected to sexual maturity. And here is where I am in desperate need of some advice. We really do not want a whole bunch of ducks (two or three would be perfect), so my concern with getting him a female companion is, well, a whole bunch of ducks resulting. But, if we get him a male, will they not simply fight all the time (it seems clear that he is a pretty aggressive/dominant male)? If we got another species, like a goose, would they ever bond, since the goose would be so much larger than him? I have heard of mule ducks like mullards, but don’t really know where to find these (every search I’ve done turns up a lot of stuff about fois gras production, which just makes me sad!). Finally, is it too late to introduce him to a fowl friends since he has been only with humans, a dog, and cats his whole life? I am not certain that he knows that he is a duck, and have often felt that he thinks that he is a dog. It has crossed my mind that he may think that he is trying to mate with our dog in these recent fights.
Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:05 pm

muscovyfan

muscovyfan
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

Ducky birth control is reletively easy.
Scrambled eggs anyone?
Muscovy eggs are excellent to make cheesecake.
I would get two hens and he will be a happy boy.
MF

3Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 am

jenidukes

jenidukes
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

This just shows how ignorant I am about this stuff-- I didn't really know that you could eat fertilized eggs! scratch Like I said, we just happened upon Mr. Peeps when he was a wee bitty baby with a chewed up little leg stranded in the middle of the road-- so beyond loving him like crazy, I'm still on the learning curve about duck rearing!
We'll start looking into getting some girlies, then-- thanks for the advice (and same to Vicky who responded to my e-mail)!

In your experience, are the males 'nice' to the females?

4Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

muscovyfan

muscovyfan
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

My drake is a gentleman. He has two hens to breed, and that suites him just fine. He won't even breed my little Campbell hen, and I have been trying to get mule ducks the last two years.
There's not really much difference in a fertilized egg as long as you gather them when they are laid. If you don't want to eat them, throw them out.... or to the dogs. They love them, and gives them a shiny coat.
MF

5Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose

Yo! MF!

http://www.freewebs.com/cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms/

6Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:11 pm

muscovyfan

muscovyfan
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

Yo! Yo! Waazzzzzupppp?
LOL
That was my punk impression!

7Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose

MF email me...
cottage_rose_garden@hotmail.com

http://www.freewebs.com/cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms/

8Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Sat May 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Muscovychef

A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I had a shipment of 15 asst muscovy get lost. when they were found all were dead but 2 who were on their sides barly moving. After calling hatchery and getting insurance. I was given the stining box. I took both moving ducklings and put them under my arms . And drove home. the one made it and grew into a huge healthy boy.
He started out congo prince. As he grew older He became mr nasty. And lived up to that name. I have had many muscovies , but this guy was just plain mean. Flogging every bird. I had blood blisters and black and blue legs an arms from his attacks. I kept him because I rememberd the little duckling more dead than alive. I used to write about him on another board ,he was well known LOL.
The fact is muscovies have diffrent temperments. I have a blue drake dubbed grampa by neighbor kids you can pat him like a dog. Most of my birds will climb up in my lap looking for goodies in my pockets. My advise to you is get rid of the drake females wont make it better. Muscovies are not like other ducks. Mr nasty loved to fight he never bred Good luck

9Male Muscovy Problem Child Empty Re: Male Muscovy Problem Child Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 am

jenidukes

jenidukes
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

Oh, I will never get rid of him... this is my baby boy your are talking about Love !!!

He is more good than bad, and I can deal with it. He has been better with the dog, but still tries to pick fights. I think you are right, though, it is just who he is. But, we just stay one step ahead of him now-- I know that look in his eye when he is up to no good! I love him though, even though he is a little stinker!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]