BackYardWaterfowl
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BackYardWaterfowl

BackYardWaterfowl!!!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Quality 2009 Colored Sebastopol Geese for Sale!
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am by Cottage Rose

» Small Sebbie Flock F/S - New York
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 am by judithkorff

» Don't give up!
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyTue May 19, 2009 2:59 pm by muscovyfan

» Help Needed! Ocala Park to kill 200 muscovies! Send an e-mail...
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:08 am by jenidukes

» Male Muscovy Problem Child
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:03 am by jenidukes

» Dufuss!
Should I make them go out and play? EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:40 pm by Muscovychef

» New Member today
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 pm by Mahsmaj

» Muscouvy Chicks
Should I make them go out and play? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm by dougthorn

» trio white chinese geese
Should I make them go out and play? EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 pm by tbrown

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should I make them go out and play?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Should I make them go out and play? Empty Should I make them go out and play? Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I posted this question on the other forum, but I was curious about other opinions...

My ducks are acting like my kids used to when they were younger. They would spend all their time in their room and I would have to force them to go out an play.

Now I notice my ducks spend most of their time hiding in their hut. Sure, they come out to eat and drink (obvious by the mess ), but other than that they are in their hut.

I wouldn't care EXCEPT I bought these ducks so I could get eggs. Egg production depends on sunlight and there is no sun shining in that hut!!!! :p (I have also been banned from running electricity out to the shed and I don't have money in the budget for solar lights right now. Grrr)

The back yard is completely fenced and they already see their pen and hut as their "happy place" so I have no worry about them escaping or not going to bed at night....

But seriously....should I make them go out and play???

2Should I make them go out and play? Empty Re: Should I make them go out and play? Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 am

Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose

Its still cold so they are probably trying to stay warm but if they aren't venturing out on sunny, calm days maybe they need to be booted out.
Some of my ducks would opt to hang inside if I left the door open.
If you want duck eggs year round you might want to consider getting Khaki Campbells. They lay 300 some eggs per year. Too early for most other breeds to start laying.
What breeds do you have?

http://www.freewebs.com/cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms/

3Should I make them go out and play? Empty Re: Should I make them go out and play? Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:45 am

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I have 2 khakis (one is a drake) and an Indian Runner. They should be laying. The other girl is a buff duck and she wont be due to lay until Spring.

4Should I make them go out and play? Empty Re: Should I make them go out and play? Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 am

Ethan

Ethan
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

Hmmm..mine usually go sit on the snow and pull their feet up into their feathers so that they can be out. I also have large garage doors on either side of my pole barn, and they line up at the edge of the door and bask. No eggs from Khakis makes me think they are using all their energy to stay warm. I don't know. My Swedish mutt ducks are laying pretty well.

http://www.freewebs.com/teerling/

5Should I make them go out and play? Empty Re: Should I make them go out and play? Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 pm

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

No laying yet. I have started to use a "night light" (Hubby's 18v Ryobi flashlight with the rechargeable battery). Should know if that is going to help next week Razz

6Should I make them go out and play? Empty Re: Should I make them go out and play? Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:45 pm

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

UPDATE: It has been almost 3 weeks and the ducks are now used to their new environment. They come out of the pen to explore and play in the large plastic storage container I am filling with water for them until their pond is done. In the last couple of days they have started some foraging. They have been nibbling the grass shoots and hunting for bugs. I guess it just took the a while to get comfortable in their new home.

I also caught Jack & Janice in an intimate moment. Apparently Jack, at least, is sexually mature. Eggs should be coming soon (crosses fingers)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum