BackYardWaterfowl
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BackYardWaterfowl

BackYardWaterfowl!!!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Quality 2009 Colored Sebastopol Geese for Sale!
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am by Cottage Rose

» Small Sebbie Flock F/S - New York
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 am by judithkorff

» Don't give up!
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyTue May 19, 2009 2:59 pm by muscovyfan

» Help Needed! Ocala Park to kill 200 muscovies! Send an e-mail...
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:08 am by jenidukes

» Male Muscovy Problem Child
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyFri May 08, 2009 10:03 am by jenidukes

» Dufuss!
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:40 pm by Muscovychef

» New Member today
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 pm by Mahsmaj

» Muscouvy Chicks
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:06 pm by dougthorn

» trio white chinese geese
Does anyone mix their own feed? EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 pm by tbrown

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone mix their own feed?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Does anyone mix their own feed? Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:43 pm

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I am a label reader and have spent the last 2 years researching animal food because of my cats. I am NOT a fan of commercial pet food manufacturers AT ALL. I would love to get my ducks off of the mystery muck that comes in 50# bags. (What in the hell is PORCINE PRODUCT and GRAIN PRODUCT anyway??? Crap they swept up off the barn floor??)

So, does anyone here use whole grains and mix their own? What do you include and how much of what type of grain?

2Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Re: Does anyone mix their own feed? Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:35 am

Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose

Porcine is pork. Lucky you to find any meat in a bird ration. Most are soy based and too much soy is not a good thing. After the Mad Cow disease scare/fiasco almost all feeds are void of fish and meat meals.
Most likely the soy industry backed that ridiculous change.
Chickens and ducks are omnivores and need meat.
Geese are herbivores so they're vegan snobs.

There are lots of make your own feed formulas out there. Talk to your local feed dealer about mixing some up for you. I don't do it because you have to have so much mixed up at a time and I don't have the numbers to justify it.
I use duck grower and layer pellets and mix in whole oats (2 pellets to 1 oats) and during the winter months limited amounts of cracked corn or scratch grains.
I also feed kelp meal. My birds have access to green grass spring - fall.

http://www.freewebs.com/cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms/

3Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Re: Does anyone mix their own feed? Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:48 am

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I knew porcine was pork...the reason that is in the feed is because I got a hold of a bag of meat bird feed. Like you noticed, all the other stuff was soy this and soy that. As for feed dealers....well, the feed stores I have checked out are all staffed by underpaid teenagers. They know NOTHING. All they do is show you the junk in the bag.

I figured being in Colorado outside of city limits near a rural area I would have options. Nope. Everyone just buys a big bag of whatever is cheap and feeds that to their flock.

I think someone on BYC posted her duck feed blend. I will see if I can remember what post that was on.

4Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Re: Does anyone mix their own feed? Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:06 am

Ethan

Ethan
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I really want to grow some of my own corn and sunflowers this year to supplement my layer mash with. I buy way too much feed. I haven't found a good solution for protein yet, but may bump up my mealworm production.

http://www.freewebs.com/teerling/

5Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Re: Does anyone mix their own feed? Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:54 pm

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

Mealworms sound interesting. Gross, but good for the ducks Very Happy

6Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Re: Does anyone mix their own feed? Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:04 am

Birch Run Farm

A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

I feed a higher protein commercial feed made by Blue Seal which is a common brand out here in northern New England. I keep a feeder with turkey pellets and a feeder with breeder pellets hanging in the indoor pasture. There is a bowl of crushed oyster and crushed granite.

Because of the cold weather here (this morning it is -7) I feed all of my grease back to my fowl. The also pick clean any carcasses from hunted game to roasted chicken. I crush bones for them to eat as well.

My muscovies partake in the same foods as the chickens. I noticed the scovies like to eat the dried onion skins that flake off your cooking onions.

I also offer evergreen boughs all winter. I cut a hemlock tree down and toss brinches in the pature. All of the fowls enjoy eating the soft needles. Reduces boredome as well.

http://www.birchrunfarms.com

7Does anyone mix their own feed? Empty Re: Does anyone mix their own feed? Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Wifezilla

Wifezilla
A Tiny Little Duckling
A Tiny Little Duckling

Interesting about the grease. I often wondered if commercial bird food has enough fat. I will try giving them a treat cup full next time I have extra.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum